A leading software company is looking for a Director & Assistant General Counsel for their Bangalore office.
The attorney filling this position will be tasked to lead and manage legal support for the firm's operations in India. This requires delivering innovative and business-centric legal support on a broad range of commercial and compliance matters as well as transactional and software licensing, regulatory compliance, procurement, sourcing, real estate, dispute resolution and corporate secretarial matters to VMware’s internal business clients across India. The attorney will also serve as a member of the firm's India Leadership Team and be a trusted business partner to them and the broader organization within the country.
As a member of the wider CLG, the attorney should also be prepared to participate in and support APJ-wide and global initiatives and to collaborate with other CLG attorneys including the CLG Leadership Team.
- Review, draft, manage and negotiate complex commercial contracts (with a focus on software license and services including SaaS contracts), procurement and sourcing contracts as well as real estate contracts within India.
- Design, implement and enforce company policies and processes to ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations in India (with a focus on local competition, privacy, data protection, IT/telecommunications and anti-bribery (including FCPA) regulations).
- Serve as a member of the India Leadership Team as well as the India Sales Management Team.
- Partner with sales management, business and operational stakeholders, customers and functional peer groups, including managing internal escalations of non-standard terms.
- Advise on a wide range of legal matters including corporate, competition, privacy, data protection, employment, real estate, marketing and other related IT/telecommunications and cybersecurity laws as well as on dispute resolution matters within India.
- Engage and collaborate with government and regulatory agencies to understand the Firm's regulatory obligations and to ensure compliance thereof.
- Provide best-in-class training and counsel to the business, principally on adherence to the firm's legal processes and policies (including the Business Conduct Guidelines) and local regulatory requirements.
- Manage and obtain advice from the firm’s network of Outside Counsel in India.
- Manage and mentor junior attorneys as well as external legal resources including Legal Process Outsourcers, and adopts a team-based approach to subject matter management and knowledge sharing.
- Participate in special projects as may be assigned by the CLG Vice President & Deputy General Counsel.
- An Indian-qualified lawyer or a lawyer qualified in a Commonwealth Law jurisdiction with a strong academic background and at least 15 years PQE with in-house or secondment experience and ideally with a US or European multinational technology company.
- Experienced drafter who is capable of managing and negotiating a variety of commercial contracts (with a focus on software license and services including SaaS contracts in a multi-tier resale model) with large commercial and government customers in India, as well as procurement, sourcing and real estate contracts.
- Experienced in managing or leading a team of junior attorneys.
- Possesses a global mindset and sensitivity to all cultures and backgrounds.
- Proficient in advising on regulatory compliance, export compliance, procurement and sourcing matters in India (and preferably across APJ).
- Possesses a strong understanding of corporate, competition, privacy, data protection, employment, real estate, marketing and other related IT/telecommunications and cybersecurity laws.
- Adept at working independently while possessing strong business acumen and a problem-solving approach.
- Maintains the highest degree of personal and professional integrity and ethics.
- Well organized and able to manage numerous competing projects simultaneously under deadline pressure.
- Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability and desire to collaborate in high energy and innovative legal team.
- A keen learner who demonstrates the capacity to work with a variety of personalities and has a genuine desire to build relationships with senior business leaders.
- Able to travel throughout India and overseas as needed (annually approx. 30%)
- Fluency in English is essential. Knowledge of additional languages will be considered favourably.